1. Core Content: Pelvic Inflammatory Disease
- emdocs covers the Pearls & Pitfalls for diagnosis and management of Tubo-Ovarian Abscess.
- EM Lyceum has a nice review of Pelvic Inflammatory Disease
2. Sound Rounds
- The #FOAMed version of Sound Rounds? Ultrasound of the Week, tidbits of wonderful case-based US learning.
3. Tox Experts: The Urine Drug Screen
- ALiEM also has this PV card to help you review agents that can cause false positive urine drug tests.
4. Palliative Care in the Emergency Department
- Hippocratic Medicine Series covered the importance of Palliative Care in the ED.
- We recommend reading this review article on Emergency medicine and palliative care by our alumnus, Derrick Lowery.
- This article discusses the role of cognitive bias and behavioral economics in patient decisions regarding medical information, including goals of care. It's a fascinating read.
- EMcrit actually talked about the importance of end-of-life conversations in the ED way back when with Podcast #25. [One caveat, palliative care and comfort care seem to be interchanged in this podcast, but they are NOT the same thing].
5. Traumatic Arrest
- Review the 2015 East Guidelines for Emergency Department Thoracotomy here.
- Rebel EM covers All things thoracotomy, including the role of FAST exam in predicting survivors.
- The late John Hinds discussed his approach to management of traumatic arrest on EMcrit. This one is a classic.
- If you never have watched John Hind's SMACC talk Crack the Chest, Get Crucified, do so now.
- What do you really need for an ED thoracotomy? Scott Weingart talks about the essentials in the Abbreviated ED Thoracotomy tray.
- Emergency Medicine Ireland covers Learning Points from a first time ED Thoracotomy (videos included).