1. INteresting cases - TTP
- emdocs has this nice review of TTP physiology, diagnosis and management (including mention of cardiac complications).
2. Pediatric Airway
- emdocs has both this article on general pearls and pitfalls of the pediatric airway, and another on management of the pediatric patient with airway obstruction.
3. Central Venous Catheter Complications
- If you're inclined, go ahead and review The American College of Rheumatology 2012 guidelines on the management of gout.
- The Mayo Clinic EMBlog has this excellent post on the diagnosis and treatment of gout in the ED. Importantly, it discusses the importance of considering the important alternative diagnosis of septic arthritis.
- The Poison Review discusses colchicine dosing in acute gout and why you should probably stick to the lower dose.
5. Critical Care Scholar Track - Sepsis 3.0
Step one: Before reading or listening to the podcasts and blogs, read The Third International Consensus Definitions for Sepsis and Septic Shock (Sepsis-3) paper for free in JAMA.
Step two: check out these blog posts and podcasts discussing the new definitions:
- FOAMcast: Sepsis Redefined
- REBEL EM : Sepsis 3.0
- Scott Weingart discusses Sepsis 3.0 with Melvin Singer
- PulmCrit discusses the Top 10 Problems with the new sepsis score.
.... and remember, CMS has not changed over to this new definition. So when it comesto documentation, the SIRS-based, three-tier system of sepsis, severe sepsis & septic shock still stands.