1. ENT Core Content [CSS].
There are lots of great resources out there to review PTA presentation & drainage:
- HQMedEd has this review of the procedure
- EMRes podcast on PTA drainage.
- Review/practical guidelines on "quinsy" management from the ENT FOAMed page.
-"Owning the PTA" from EMCurious Procedures Club
2. Imaging in Blunt Trauma
- REBEL EM has this nice review and discussion on management of anti-coagulated patients with minor head trauma. [MD]
- emdocs reviews the literature and recommendations regarding management of the head injury patient on anticoagulants. [CSS]
- SGEM reviews the Canadian & New Orleans head CT rules. [CSS]
- Clear the C-collar? Patient with midline neck tenderness but no neurologic deficits? This study in the Journal of Neurosurgery suggests that you take it off. [MD]
Chest & Abdominal Imaging
- A review of NEXUS chest imaging/validation from ALiEM. [CSS]
A Foray into Peds [CSS]:
- From Everyday E(B)M, Michael Galante reviews a clinical decision rule for imaging in Peds Blunt Trauma.
- Peds EM Morsels discusses clinical decision instruments for evaluation of low risk abdominal trauma.
3. Interesting Cases
Diagnosis of Subarachnoid Hemorrhage
- From Everyday E(B)M, Kevin Baumgartner reviews the evidence behind the "6 hr LP rule". [MD]
- Need help navigating the differential diagnosis of diplopia? Read the review, "Deciphering Diplopia" from The American Academy of Ophthalmology. [MD]
- Review of Terson's Syndrome from the American Academy of Ophthamology. [CSS]
- Broomedocs discusses Shared Decision Making in the ED. [CSS]
Difficult Airways: Approach to Fiberoptic Intubation [CSS]
- ALiEM has a PV Card for Angioedema.
- emdocs has this "Awake Intubation Rundown".
4. The New Opium War[CSS]
- Scott Weingart interviews Sergey Motov on the Opiod-Free ED.
- Read this St. Emlyn's discussion on the difference between "pain" and "suffering"
- Go ahead an watch this TED talk on the "Mysteries of Chronic Pain."
C. Sam Smith