1. Ob/Gyn core content (Bartholin's gland drainage,ovarian torsion, Dysfunctional uterine bleeding)[MD]
- EM News has this procedural video demonstrating drainage of a Bartholin's Gland Cyst.
- EM Lyceum covers the diagnosis of ovarian torsion in the ED (including sensitivity of signs, symptoms and diagnostic tests).
- ACOG (American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists) has these guidelines the evaluation and managementof the non-pregnant patient with vaginal bleeding, including the acronym PALM–COEIN [Structural: Polyp, Adenomyosis, Leiomyoma, Malignancy and hyperplasia; Non-structural: Coagulopathy, Ovulatory dysfunction, Endometrial, Iatrogenic, and Not otherwise classified] to help with the differential diagnosis.
2. Lessons from Parenting and Emergency Medicine
- This article in Emergency Medicine News by Edwin Leap covers one emergency physicians perspective on hugging his patients. [BF]
- Cliff Reid discusses cognitive resilience and internal conflict resolution in his SMACC talk How to be a Hero. [BF]
- If you have not seen the EMRA movie 24/7/365 on the history of Emergency Medicine, take an hour do so now. Bring the tissues, too. [MD]
- Scary Mommy on Working Mom Guilt. [MD]
3. Difficult Cases[MD]
- The Short Coat in EM describes multiple types of cognitive bias.
- Go ahead and watch this entertainingtalk ("All doctors are jackasses") from SMACC Chicago by Chris Nickson and Scott Weingart on cognitive bias, also discussing the role of System 1 and System 2.
- This article covers the feasibility of bedside ultrasound for identification of the inferior hypogastric arteries prior to do a paracentesis and Ultrasound Podcast reviews why paracentesis is better with ultrasound.
4. Radiology & Exam of the shoulder[MD]
- My go-to for Ortho Ed is this Northwestern site for Orthopedic Teaching, 11 different shoulder cases.
Maia Dorsett @maiadorsett
Brendan Fitzpatrick @Brendanfitzpa